Monday, October 16, 2006

Yet another TV post

I'm a big Aaron Sorkin fan. I didn't know who he was until The West Wing, and I didn't start watching The West Wing until the first season was over. Fortunately I had a friend who taped all of them and I got to play catch up over a long weekend.

I loved Sports Night when it was out, and was sorely disappointed when it was cancelled. I love A Few Good Men, before I knew it was a Sorkin film, and I loved The American President. Yes, Sorkin has some patent moves; he has perfected the walkalogue, and sometimes he can be overbearing... but he writes smart dialogue, he makes me look things up sometimes, and I really like the fact that he is not afraid to have his characters make a statement, even when I disagree with him. I also admire the fact that he finds actors he likes, and he is loyal to them. He isn't constantly trying to reinvent himself.

So of course I started watching Studio 60. I have to admit that I don't care for the premise... I'm not really a fan of late night tv, so I wasn't sure that I would like this show, seeing as how its all about putting together a late night tv show. After about 4 weeks of the show tho I find myself in love with it; not because of the walkalogue or the smart-ass wisecracks, but because of the love story between two of the main characters. Aaron has written about two people who are split apart by ideology (and now work), but on screen it is palpable that they still care about each other, and that they have the utmost respect for one another. It is uplifting to me. It makes me hope. I don't know whether or not it's pitiful that I gather hope from a television show but even if it is, I'm ok with that. I'm going to hold out for the man who wants to impress me, and who I'll want to be the best person I can be for. I also love that in this show, Christian is not synonymous with Fundamentalism, and that having faith is really a good thing.

No comments: