Saturday, September 02, 2006

I love Fall

It truly is the most wonderful time of the year.

I'm sitting in front of the TV watching Penn State in their opener, the 'Skins are not doing so well in their preseason, but the last time they went winless in the preseason... (I dare not write the rest), the Caps start season practices in two weeks, and next weekend is the last race before the Chase starts, and I'm going. Additionally, Ernesto has taken the temps down around here about 20 degrees, which puts the weather right in my perfect zone of 65 - 75. I've got cold beer, a three-day weekend, and life is good, pretty darn good.

My friends are watching Penn State also... I know this because a) they are Penn State alumni, and they are a breed apart and b) I got a phone call this morning while I was still asleep. The voice mail that was left for me went something like this:

"WWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fall starts at 3:30! Weeeeeeee Arrrrreeeeeeee!!!!"

No name left with the message, as if I needed it, didn't even need to consult the caller ID. When I finally finished giggling I returned the call and greeted with, "PENN STATE!!!!"

Only shame is that they are in Pittsburgh, I am here in Reston.

What ends up happening is a constant back and forth via phone. Something happens and I call them or they call me... this is the life of a long-distance friendship.

I live for weekends like this one though. No running around, no endless errands, nothing to do but drink a beer, watch football, and enjoy life (well, maybe a little laundry).

There is a bit of scripture that sticks in my head from Sunday School when I think about days like this, "This is the day that the Lord has made; we shall rejoice and be glad in it".

Amen to that.

No comments: